Ten Commandments Protest
By: Yaremi Farinas
A community is fighting to keep a monument of the Ten Commandments in front of their courthouse.
It was a firestorm of a debate in front of the Bradford County courthouse. Atheists protesting a monument and Christians fighting to keep it there.
Bradford County citizens put up this $22,000 monument on May 3,2012.
This past Saturday, Atheists from all over the state protested.
They held up signs that said "keep them separate."
Rob Curry is the Director of an Atheist group from St.Petersburg.
" This religious monument right behind me clearly designed to favor one religion over other religions," said Curry.
He said it's a violation of the first amendment's freedom of religion, but more than half of the crowd were local Christians.
They were expressing their opinions by shouting, praying and singing "Gold Bless America."
Rachel Mosley has been living in Bradford County for the past 12 years.
"God created everything including the Atheists who are here protesting and you know what it is irritating for them to be here, standing up against the one that created them and loves them, but we have to pray for them and ask Jesus to soften their hard hearts, that they may except him," said Mosley.
Some Atheists who are protesting here said similar monuments have been removed in other places like Dixie County and they strongly believe the same thing will happen in Bradford County.
Locals told us Bradford County is a religious community and they will continue to fight to keep the monument here.
"They can take down the Ten Commandments off a public place, they can take the cross off a public place, but they can't take it out of our hearts," said Debbie Emerick.
If the monument is not removed, several national organizations including the American Atheists may file a lawsuit.
- Dixie County Will Fight to Save Ten Commandments
- Ten Commandments Case in Dixie County Comes to a Close
- Ten Commandments Must Go
- Cross City Residents Angry at Ten Commandments Monument Verdict
- Alachua County Firefighters Protest Tentative County Budget
- Residents, County Officials Vent Frustrations at Bradford County Delegation Meeting
- Westboro Church Radicals' Protests Spark Outrage In Alachua County
- Former Bradford County Coach Serving Time in One- Punch Death
- Gov. Rick Scott Listens to Bradford County Citizens
- Fire Causes Road Closures in Bradford County