Unsafe For Kids? 11-Year-Old Killed
A tragedy went from bad to worse for a family from the town of Bronson.
On Tuesday, 11-year-old Keanu Becker was taken off life support after he was hit by a car while riding his bike over the weekend.
His father, Brent Becker, says his family is broken.
"He's just a scholar athlete, he's everything you could ask for in a son," he said.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol report, the driver, Elizabeth Tyler, 20, of Archer was headed west down NE 108 Lane when she says the sun blinded her vision.
There's no mention of how fast Tyler was going in the report, but the crash is still under investigation.
Becker says sheriff's deputies need to monitor the traffic coming in and out of his neighborhood.
"If there was a law enforcement presence there, at least once in a while, people would know they just can't drive however they want to," he said.
Becker says Keanu's little brother Chase witnessed the accident- he was riding his bike right behind his brother on Sunday.
"They were bonded, they were together, they were inseparable, now, he's alone," he said.
Lieutenant Scott Tummond with the Levy County Sheriff's Office said, they don't get a significant number of calls involving drivers speeding in the Five Oaks subdivision.
- 15-Year-Old Student Stabbed By 11-Year-Old
- Gainesville Man Accused Of Having Sex With 11-Year-Old Girl
- 11-Year-Old Helps Local Foster Children
- 11-year-old Fights for Horse
- Man Kills 4-year-old Daughter
- 16-Year-Old Shot and Killed at His Home in Palatka
- 82 Year-Old Shot and Killed while Sleeping
- 18-Year-Old Shot and Killed in Suwannee
- 11 & 15 Year-Olds Accused Of Killing Brother
- 4-year-old dies after being strangled by 11-year-old, according to deputies