Vietnam-era Soldier Receives Honor
He made the ultimate sacrifice for his country more than four decades ago...now people from his hometown are dedicating a road in his honor.
Joshua Welch, Jr. was an Army Private First Class who was killed in action in Vietnam in November, 1966.
Wednesday morning in Alachua... County Road 241 was dedicated in his honor.
Several of his family members attended the event. Welch's sister Gloria Welch said it was truly an honor to see her brother's name put up.
"He was the first to graduate from our family in 1965. He was the first to go into service, and even though he didn't make it back, he's still my hero."
Welch graduate from the old Mebane High School in Alachua.
He served in the 101st Army Airborne unit. He had earned several awards during his service, including the Silver Star.
- Vietnam War Veterans Honor Fallen Soldiers
- Soldier Surprises Son in Time for Christmas
- Man Killed in Crash
- North Central Florida Honors Fallen Soldier
- Honoring Fallen Soldiers and Veterans in Marion County
- Purple Heart Group in Gainesville Honors Late Soldier
- Former GPD Detective To receive Top Honor For Solving Crime
- Local Small Business Receives National Honors
- Fulgham Murder Trial Continues
- Heather Strong Murder Case