18-year-old Dies After Shooting at Ex-Girlfriend and Officers
By: Yaremi Farinas
"I just heard gunshots and thought they were fire crackers," said Christine Goodson.
Goodson lives about 200 feet from where the shooting happened.
At around 12 p.m. on Saturday, 18 -year- old Devin Colson went to pick up some things at her ex-boyfriend's house .
While she was there police told us 18-year-old Trevon Miller and Colson started fighting.
"As she entered her vehicle which was parked right directly in front of the residence the suspect came downstairs totally unexpectedly and started shooting at the vehicle.," said Cpl. Angelina Valuri with Gainesville Police Department.
That's when Colson was shot in the neck, but the gunfire didn't stop then.
Miller crossed the street and continued to shoot at the car as Colson started driving away.
She managed to flag down an officer at Sunrise Apartments, which is only a couple blocks from the shooting happened.
Miller ran back into the apartment, locking himself inside. He then started shooting at the officers from out the windows.
"That's when the suspect did open up the front door and did surrender to officers. GPD officers did take him into custody and almost immediately he did start convulsing having a full blown seizure directly in front of the apartment," said Valuri.
He later died.
Officers believe the seizures may have been due to an overdose of sleeping pills and that Miller may have been trying to kill himself.
The incident shocked Goodson, she even tried to find out the crime rate in her neighborhood.
"I was trying to figure out what was happening, so I was on the computer just googling it and you know apparently there is a lot of stuff that happens around here," said Goodson.
As for the victims, Colson was transported to Shands hospital and is facing non -life threatening injuries. The 15-year-old was not hurt.
- 18-Year-Old Suspect is Tased, Arrested After Attacking Police
- Man Sentenced For Killing Ex-Girlfriend
- 19-year-old Dies During Hiking Accident in Jonesville
- Caught on Camera: 71-year-old Shoots at Robbers
- Dontavious Copeland Sentenced in Shooting Death of 15-year-old
- Home Invader Shot to Death After Forcing Way into Ex-Girlfriend's Home
- 2-year-old Child Drowns After Falling Into Septic Tank
- Police: Drunk Driver Assaults, Rams Ex-Girlfriend's Car
- Man Clings to Ex-Girlfriend's Car for 10 Miles
- Investigators Search for a Missing 16-year-old