Animal Abuse in Dixie County
A post on Facebook was too much for one Dixie County woman, who is now trying to create a better way to save animals.
Mardee Hill was prompted to reach out to the community because of the photo you see used for this story.
She's asking for help to create a no-kill humane society in Dixie County.
Right now the only establishment that takes animals is the county- run pound. But animals there are not available for adoption.
Sheriff's deputies say too many people were returning the animals or just setting them loose.
Its a system Hill has had enough of.
"People do not treat them right as in the pictures that you saw which is what really brought this to head. It was heartbreaking seeing these starving, malnourished dogs and so this was the breaking point that we need to do something and work together with the county so that our animals can have support and be treated like part of a family."
As to the photos, deputies say they received a call about dogs being mistreated and picked some of them up.
They deny the residence was the home of a puppy mill, but say an investigation is ongoing.
- Animal Abuse in Bradford County; Four Dogs left on Roadside
- Man Accused of Animal Abuse says "I'm not a bad guy"
- Gainesville Man Arrested for Animal Abuse
- Neighbors Claim Animal Abuse
- Abused Animals Set Second Chance At Auction
- Man Wanted for Public Animal Abuse
- Allegations of Abuse at Animal Rescue
- Gilchrist Commissioner seeks shelter in Dixie County
- Dixie County Family Fights AvMed Again For Daughter's Health Care
- Authorities Continue Searching For Missing Dixie County Woman