Commercial Construction Jobs on the Rise? Only slightly.
Alachua County fares better than the rest of Florida when it comes to commercial construction jobs, but only slightly.
In a new survey of construction employment, the Associated General Contractors of America ranked Florida 47 when it comes to employment for commercial projects.
We spoke to one construction worker who says he is thankful to have a job right now, but he is not sure what will happen when the project he is currently on is over.
Matt Webster, President of the Builders Association of North Central Florida says recent federal changes have allowed more employment opportunities.
"There have been some legislative changes that allow us to hire seasonal employees. That has helped us hire people for a six month period or for job specific openings and getting some people back to work."
Prior to the changes, construction companies could not hire seasonal employees.
Webster cited the presence of colleges and hospitals in Alachua County as providing some security for commercial projects.
- Slight Rise in Florida's Unemployment Rates
- Construction Employment Declined Last Year
- Commercial Building Projects on the Rise
- Employers hold job fair in Marion County
- Lake City Company Offers 250 Jobs...With Only 165 Applicants
- Jobs not only offered to students at UF Career Showcase
- Made In America- Creating Jobs that are Set in Stone
- October Jobs Report Leave Construction Workers Wanting More
- Marion County Job Growth on Rise
- Ahead of Rate Increases, GRU Customers To See Slight Decline in Next Two Bills