Cross Country Motorcyclists Return from Charity Ride
Four men rode their motorcycles across the country in a marathon ride for the Special Olympics.
George Corwine, John Franklin, Bobby Stafford and Brian Ritter took pledges for every state line they crossed.
They launched their journey in Rhode Island and in 10 days rode to California and finished back home in Florida Tuesday evening.
The ride covered 40 states and 7000 miles, it was sponsored by Gainesville Harley Davidson and other local businesses.
Between 15 and 20 thousand dollars were raised for the cause.
One of the riders, George Corwine says, "We were trying to think of how to raise money for a great cause, doing something that we all love to do and this is what we came up with."
Last year the riders covered 33 states in 7 days.
The motorcyclists say the biggest challenge during the ride was a hailstorm they were stuck in while passing through Wyoming.
- Rollerblading Cross- Country for Charity
- Bikers Deliver an Early Christmas Surprise to Children in Ocala
- Gainesville Men Caught Trading Motorcycles for Money and Meth
- Alachua County is Home to the Oldest Active Bomb Squad Technician in the Country
- CHOICES Advisory Board Holds Special Meeting
- Paddling Scheduled to Return to Marion County Elementary Schools
- Gainesville Students Return While Staff Step Up In Wake of Newtown Tragedy
- Toys for Tots Motorcycle Ride
- Local Chef Starts Cross-Country Culinary Adventure
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office