Gainesville Hero "I was trying to help"
Published June 6th, 2012
A Gainesville man says it was no big deal. Gbati Djeri is the roommate of the man accused of firing several shots at police over the weekend. Police are calling Djeri a hero, but he finds the title a bit overwhelming. Djeri says he was just trying to help.
Its a different day at Southwood Apartments in Southwest Gainesville, garbage trucks can come through freely. On Saturday June 2nd, this neighborhood was blocked off by police after several shots were fired.
"I tried to tell her to call the cops and not come back," Gbati Djeri,roommate of the accused shooter said.
Along with another person, thirty year old Djeri was trying to console Trevon Miller's ex girlfriend after they got into heated argument.
"(I) went downstairs barely had time to talk to her about that," Djeri said.
Djeri told TV20 Trevon came out of the house with a gun and fired a shot at the victims who were parked in front the apartment.
"I heard a shot and saw the window side of the driver side shattering," Djeri said.
Djeri hid behind the car when the shots were fired, but when there was a break, he actually took it and confronted Trevon.
"I think i stepped forward, trying to talk to him or something, you know and he started backing up that's when I started chasing him," Djeri said.
The victims tried to drive away but Djeri says Miller fired even more shots at them.
"Got shot I think once or twice," Djeri said.
Djeri went into a neighbor's house; Miller returned to the apartment where police later arrived. They say he traded shots with them, and eventually Miller surrendered but later died at Shands of what police suspect an apparent overdose. Now Djeri is being honored by police.
"Quite frankly we're impressed and its very unusual, there's a small percentage of the population that would have done what he did," Bennie Smith, Gainesville Police Detective said.
Djeri was flattered to be recognized by police.
"Like I said the hero label is too strong," Djeri said.
Police are nominating Djeri for the Police Service Award, its the highest award given to a citizen.
- "TXT 4 HELP" Program Aims to Help Teens in Crisis
- Family Spotlight 2/17/11 "Marriage Help"
- The Full Text of MLK's "I Have a Dream" Speech
- Sears Helping "Heroes at Home"
- Gainesville Firefighters are Trying to "Fill the Boot"
- Man Accused of Animal Abuse says "I'm not a bad guy"
- Muschamp on Comments to Fans: "I'm Talking to A Small Percentage"
- East Gainesville family fights mold...with the help of a "Superhero"
- "He Loved Everything about Being a Soldier," Fallen Hero's Body Returns Home
- His Home is Now "Fit for a Hero" Thanks to Volunteers