There are multiple victims in a shooting in the town of Bell. We have confirmed there are deaths.
Homeless Becoming Growing Problem for Library
While city litigation continues in finding the right spot for a day center for the homeless, more and more of them are calling the Alachua County Library, home during the day and some residents are a little concerned.
Dekova Batey is one of many residents who have noticed the rising population of homeless around the Alachua County Library in downtown Gainesville.
Perhaps it is because the homeless head count has risen by 400 in the past year and there are seemingly less places for them to go.
Jack Donovan with the Alachua County Coalition for the Homeless and Hungry says that the library may just be another place for the homeless to get off of the street and into some air conditioning. He says the city as been trying for some time to build a one stop day center for the homeless. It's met all kinds of obstacles there and it still has not succeeded.
Because the library is a public place and offers a wide range of services, library staff members don't seem to mind the extra company.
Nickie Kortus, the Alachua County Library Marketing and PR manager says that the library staff tries to provide whatever it is that people are seeking. They work with populations that come into all of their branches, and assist them as best they can with their needs.
The library wants to be part of the solution, in helping people with their lives and they feel like it's through knowledge and through resources that they help provide.
While workers are ready to assist with the extra visitors, it still remains in question whether or not the residents feel safe.
- North Florida Regional Medical Center Program Combats Growing Infectious Disease Problem
- Downtown Business Owners Say Homeless Problem is Out of Control- Who's To Blame?
- Numbers of Homeless Children Growing
- Florida Author Visits Library
- Library Burglarized in Cedar Key
- Libraries and the Economy
- Gun at UF Library
- Alachua County Libraries Closed On Memorial Day
- New Library and Neighborhood Resource Center Opens in Alachua County
- Libraries Offering Free Homework Help