Man Shot in SouthWest Gainesville
A man is dead this morning after investigators say Gainesville Police officers shot him in the SouthWest part of the city.
When Police arrived to the scene -- in the laundry room of the Arc Center -- a man reported 62-year-old Ghulam Yahyua Mujtaba was threatening him with a knife.
Police met Mujtaba in this parking lot and made several attempts to get him to disarm himself.
When those attempts failed, GPD officers tased Mujtaba, which had little to no effect.
He then advanced towards officers still armed with a knife.
GPD officers responded with deadly force shooting him.
The man was pronounced dead at Shands.
Mujtaba was known to have schizophrenia and was being treated at the Meridian Center.
The individual threatened by him was not injured.
- Shooting in Southwest Gainesville
- UPDATE: Sunday Shooting in Southwest Gainesville
- Man Threatened In Southwest Gainesville
- Cancer #1 Killing Disease For Hispanics, But Gainesville Continues To Fight Back
- GMO mosquitoes could be released in South Florida, FDA decision pending
- GPD increasing patrols after two recent assaults
- Man Shot by Gainesville Police Officer During High Speed Car Chase
- New Healthcare Center Opening in Southwest Gainesville
- Woman Found Dead in Southwest Gainesville
- Bear Sighting in Southwest Gainesville