More Chickens in Alachua County
Its one municipal ordinance designed to lay an egg, but its only allowed in some parts of Alachua County. Other residents who want to raise chickens risk running a fowl of the law.
Most people work indoors when its raining.
"We're just giving the chickens a bit of an afternoon treat," Farmer Faith Carr said.
But for some this is a normal a day in their office.
"Its a good thing to keep the chickens amused especially in the rain," Carr said.
Farmer Carr has been working with chickens for over 3 years and she loves what she does.
"Oh you getting the corn now huh," Carr asked the chicken?
Carr is even more excited to find out county leaders are looking at letting regular homeowners keep chickens on their property. Residents in portions of the county, like west of I-75 near Jonesville, may soon be allowed to have 6 chickens, but no roosters on their property.
"I think its a no brainer," Wade Rogers, Owner of Alachua County Feed and Seed store said.
Wade Rogers owner of the Alachua county Feed and Seed store in Gainesville, is pushing for more in Gainesville city limits. City residents are only allowed to have two chickens on their property.
"If they raise the limit to six I think its a fair number, without overdoing, just to give people the number of eggs they can consume," Rogers said.
County workers agree, residents at community meetings and groups like "Grow Gainesville," have been pushing to change the county code.
"We tried to make some changes in the conference of plan and adopted those changes in 2011," Holly Banner, Alachua County Planner said.
The county commission will meet on June 26th about the proposed changes, and the city will have a committee meeting on Monday in the City Hall basement.
- More Chickens in Gainesville?
- Gainesville Residents Want More Chickens
- Chicken Lovers Line Up For More than Just the Sandwich
- Alachua County Sheriff Asks County Commission For More Money
- More Options to House Homeless Veterans in Alachua County
- Less Money, More Problems...Alachua County Budget
- More Flex Days For Alachua County
- More Alachua Controversy
- Alachua County Democratic Party Wants Alachua County Democratic Black Caucus Charter Revoked
- City Ends Program Allowing Backyard Chickens