Radical Display in Front of Gainesville Church Causing Stir
It's been over a year since the Dove World Outreach Center drew the eyes of the world to Gainesville by scheduling an, "International Burn a Quran Day."
Now, that fire has spread to the upcoming political season.
Leader of the church, Pastor Terry Jones feels his latest message is important.
He says, "Our intent is to send a message to what we feel President Obama is doing to our country, our first message is that President Obama is killing America."
Jones bought that message to life a week ago with the display that now sits in the frontyard of his church.
It depicts the likeness of President Barack Obama being hung from a noose, alongside a baby, an Uncle Sam dummy, and a gay pride flag.
Jones' message did not receive much of a warm welcome from residents living in neighboring communities.
Gainesville resident Maria Mamatsios says, "He's just over the edge and he has nothing better to do. He's a total screwball."
There are those who support some of Pastor Jones' political views, but they're not fans of how he expresses them.
When Former Gainesville Commissioner, Ed Braddy drives his children past the church he says he has to, "...try to explain to them that in our country we let people speak freely, let people express their views, but we also try to tell them that there's better ways to express those views."
Jones insists that his display is not a death threat or racist in nature. Chris Gilmore TV20 News.
- City Plan Board Grants Church Permit to Buy Dove World Outreach's Land
- Dove World Outreach Sale Finalized
- Reactions to Terry Jones' Role in the Ongoing Libyan Crisis
- Bike Racks Causing a Stir in Downtown High Springs
- Gainesville Church Attracts Controversy with Judgement Day Event
- Pastor Terry Jones Causing Insecurity Here...
- Mosquitoes Use Standing Water to Stir Trouble in Alachua County
- Fire at Wood Resource Recovery Site Limits Visibility in Northwest Gainesville
- Political Display in Chiefland Turns Heads
- Re-Assignment of Gainesville City Employee Causes Quite The Stir