Sick Teenager Finds Time to Live up to his Dreams
19 year old Buchholz graduate, Stefan Kravljanac was diagnosed with Cystic fibrosis at the age of 3, CF-related diabetes at 13 and is currently recovering from a battle with cancer after a liver and pancreas transplant.
Stefan says that he doesn't focus too much on his sickness if he can help and views his situation more like, "Well, you either get busy living, or get busy dying."
After spending some time with Stefan it's obvious what he's busied himself with, he has plans for a future in law enforcement.
Cystic Fibrosis and all he completed his second ride along with Alachua County Sheriff's on Friday.
Alachua County Sheriff's Office Deputy PJ Mauldin andhis shadow for the day, Stefan, responded to 3 traffic crashes within an hour Friday morning.
Soon after, at around 10am Stefan and Deputy PJ Mauldin heard a medical call come across the scanners; an elderly unconscious male in distress
With his previous knowledge of CPR, Stefan was able to help the man involved.
Deputy Mauldin describes it like this, "They pointed, 'hey, can you do chest compressions.' He stuttered a little bit but then, snap, right after that he was in there doing chest compressions. I mean it was a matter of seconds that he went in there and was doing great things."
It was enough to keep the man's heart beating on the way to the hospital.
Although the man eventually died, Stefan says that he's happy to have found a way he can help out the community from behind the badge.
Deputy Mauldin says that he was impressed with Stefan's willingness to get involved and, "... not many ride alongs are capable of getting out and dealing with those stressors, I've had many ride alongs that've said, I'll just stay here in the car, and they'll just stay in the car. Nooo, not Stefan. What was your (Stefan's) question? 'Can I get out? Can I get out?' "
Stefan applied to the Police Academy through Santa Fe College, selections are made on July 18th.
He hopes to enroll in the fall. Chris Gilmore TV20 News.
- Lung Transplants Offer New Hope For Some Cystic Fibrosis Patients
- Trip to Grocery Store Ends in Jail Time for Bradford County Family
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua Teen Steals from his Sick Grandmother
- Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell: Full Interview
- North Central Florida Residents Monitor Rising Water Levels Along the Santa Fe
- Gainesville Police Conducting Increased Traffic Detail Along Roadways
- Alachua County Sheriff Defends Deputies
- DNA Evidence Leads to Arrest of Suspect in Haile Rape Case
- Local Young Woman Battling Cystic Fibrosis Is On A Quest To Raise Awareness