Speak Up For Florida's Springs
Published June 24th, 2012
"This is unacceptable to me and is a crime, a bad bad crime."
"They don't care about fixing the aquifer or even making it sustainable, they are about how much can we completely degrade it before it fails."
Florida residents were ramped up Saturday, at the Speak Up for Silver Springs event held today in Ocala.
Former Governor, Bob Graham took the stage today at the event, saying, "We are here because we are the frontline of the protectors of this special place, we need to protect it."
The crowd did not hold back today, as they watched activists speeches to bring attention to the threats that are facing Silver Springs.
Their common goals were to educate people about the problem, to get them motivated to do something about it and to have them suggest possible solutions.
Volunteers are asking community members today to sign a petition asking Rick Scott to implement a task force that would improve the dire conditions here.
Among the other's speaking at the event were, former State Senator, Lee Constantine and Dr. Robert Knight, a springs scientist and expert.
Dr. Knight explained that nitrate levels in the springs are high. This is because the flow of water in the springs is down about two thirds which is effecting marine life, swamps and creating other problems like green slime.
Petitions are expected to reach the office of Governor Scott within the near future.
- Florida's Law 'Stand Your Ground' is Here to Stay
- Florida's High Schools Improving
- Florida's State-Wide Budget Cuts Hit Home for UF Professors
- Florida's Toxic Assets
- State Senator Share Ideas on Florida's Future
- Florida's Foreclosure Crisis
- North Central Florida's April Unemployment Figures Released
- Argument Continues Over Oil Drilling Off Florida's Coast
- Bud Chiles Walks "One Million Steps for Florida's Kids"
- New Website for Florida's Unemployed