Traffic Flow Cameras Confused with Red Light Cams
Last December the Gainesville City Commission voted down a five year contract to install red light cameras at intersections.
Drivers like John Doody of Gainesville have noticed camera-like devices at intersections around town.
"I think they're used for people who go through red lights at intersections," said Doody.
Close, but the cameras are there for a different purpose.
That's where, "Smart Traffic," and advanced traffic management system comes into play.
Gainesville Police Department's Lt. Jorge Campos stated, "We do not use them for routine traffic infractions."
However; Law Enforcement occassionally works with the Traffic Management System.
Campos says, "It's not an everyday thing, on special occassions we use them and again if we see a specific crime trend occurring in an area where we have very little leads to go on, we'll try and use the cameras."
Campos pointed out gamedays as great examples of when the traffic cameras help direct flow off campus.
- Red Light Traffic Cams?
- Palatka Red Light Cameras On
- Red Light Cameras Taken Out in Dunnellon
- Red Light Cameras Could Soon Be Used In Gainesville
- Caught On Camera... Red Light Safety In Palatka
- Gainesville Moves Forward With Red Light Cameras
- Red Light Cameras
- City Puts the Brakes on Red-Light Cameras
- Traffic Light Cameras
- Walking the Fine Line Between Public and Private Emails