Caught on Camera: 71-year-old Shoots at Robbers
MARION COUNTY - He stood his ground and fired back when two armed men stormed an internet cafe, and the whole thing was caught on camera.
In the video you can see two robbers, one with a gun and another with a baseball bat, storming into an internet cafe in Marion County.
One of the criminals is seen waiving his gun and yelling at the stunned customers to put their hands up and hand over their cash.
But then, a 71-year-old customer, Samuel Williams of Ocala, grabs his own gun and shoots the crooks.
"He started firing his weapon and the two guys took off," Judge Cochran, Marion County Sheriff's Spokesperson told TV20. "I mean they fell upon each other trying to get out the door."
The would-be thieves are seen scrambling for their lives, tripping over each other while Williams shoots one more time.
"He wanted to protect himself and protect his wife and by doing do he was able to protect those other folks in the cafe."
There were about 30 people inside during the robbery Friday night.
It happened at the Palms Internet Cafe near On Top of the World, a senior community in Marion County.
Most of the Cafe's customers are unlikely to be the kind to fight back, but Williams did.
"Good," Peter Dodd, a nearby resident told TV20. "We need more of it, and they can think before they go in there and think they can go and rob the elderly people," Dodd said.
The accused criminals, Davis Dawkins of Dunnellon and DuWayne Henderson of Ocala are both 19 years old.
They were both hit by bullets, but neither was seriously hurt.
They were arrested shortly after getting to the hospital.
Dawkins told detectives he had once worked at the cafe.
Both Dawkins and Henderson had no prior arrest records, but they are now charged with attempted robbery with a firearm and criminal mischief.
Dawkins is now out on bail.
Williams did have his concealed weapons permit, but didn't want to talk to media.
And although he told deputies how scared he was during the robbery, watching the video, that's hard to believe.
- 12 year old Boy Caught on Camera Stealing Gun
- Ocala Teenager Shoots 5-year-old with BB Gun
- Dontavious Copeland Sentenced in Shooting Death of 15-year-old
- 18-year-old Dies After Shooting at Ex-Girlfriend and Officers
- 4-year-old dies after being strangled by 11-year-old, according to deputies
- 15-Year-Old Student Stabbed By 11-Year-Old
- Police Officer's 3-year-old Child Drowns
- Bullied 12-year-old Girl Commits Suicide
- 13-year-old Gainesville Boy Sends Care Packages to Navy Seals
- Investigators Search for a Missing 16-year-old