Man Survives Dangerous Tractor Crash
Published July 23rd, 2012
Alachua,FL - On Monday, was an unusual power outage for residents in Alachua. A man is in the hospital after his tractor crashed into a power line, knocking out electricity to many Alachua residents. Investigators are still trying to piece together what happened.
Turkey Creek resident Tucker Smith is washing his clothes for a special day.
"Yup washing everything trying to get it cleaned," Smith said.
Smith is washing his clothes for a birthday dinner.
"18 birthday," Smith said.
But the power in the house went out, along with many others along US 4-41 between Cellon Creek Boulevard and 43rd Street.
"The power went out about 1:15 to 1:30," Smith said.
Alachua Police say the reason why the power was out was because of this tractor that collided into the power line.
"Looked like the tractor was on fire," Jesse Sandusky, Alachua Police PIO said.
Information is limited. Police don't know what caused the tractor driver to lose control. Investigators say Steven Davis appeared to hunched over in the driving cabinet of the tractor. They say the tractor was going around the power police until the tractor crashed.
"And caused some surge to the tractor, which eventually cause the tractor to stop moving," Sandusky said.
The tractor stopped, but police say the man is lucky to be alive since the power lines charred the roof.
"Everybody worked well together, it was quick everyone arrived on scene fast, and took care of the situation," Sandusky said.
Took care of the situation that allow residents in Turkey Creek to get some power back by three o'clock and for some to prep for their big day.
"Going out for a birthday dinner tonight so I'll be able to wear ironed clothes not go out looking scrubby." Smith said.
The driver of the tractor Steven Davis is in North Florida Regional Medical Center is in good condition.
- Surviving the Crashes on I-75
- A Newberry Man Survives Being Shot Twice in the Head
- Dangerous Love Triangle Lands Man in Jail
- Safety Advances Boost Plane Crash Survival Odds
- UF Veterinarian: I Survived Cancer and I Help Dogs Survive It, Too
- Farmers Learn to Use GPS-Guided Tractors
- Car vs. tractor trailer on Highway 301 leaves one person dead
- Child Hit By Fed-Ex Tractor Trailor
- I-75 Shut Down in Both Directions After Tractor Trailer Overturns
- Phone Service Back Up in Waldo After Tractor Trailer Accident