New Details in Ocala Hit and Run
New details about the hit and run accident that claimed the life of a 22-year-old woman one week ago.
Late Friday night, 22-year-old Gabrielle Rush was walking home from the Kangaroo gas station on SW 20th Street in Ocala when she was hit from behind by a pickup truck.
Investigators say the 23-year-old female driver, Amber Fernland bailed, leaving Rush behind.
"She said she was just scared and panicked and didn't know what she'd hit," Officer Harold Compton told TV20.
Then Fernland and her boyfriend and owner of the truck, Travis Aldana went to his father's home.
Days later, a helicopter spotted the truck nearby hidden under tree branches.
Aldana's father, Michael was arrested for tampering with evidence after police say he tried to cover the truck with tree branches.
On Sunday Fernland turned herself in to Ocala Police.
"She seemed very upset, crying," Compton said. "She couldn't make it through the entire interview without crying."
Rush was a student at the College of Central Florida.
A memorial with flowers and teddy bears is now in the spot where she lost her life.
Fernland had a shoddy driving record which included careless driving and speeding 25 miles over the limit.
She is also being sued for auto negligence after a different accident.
"You'd think that you would at least try to make contact with some type of medical personnel or emergency services and have them respond to the area of the crash, even if you weren't going to be there, " Compton said.
Fernland told police she was a designated driver that night and was sober.
She and Aldana have a six month old baby together, but now the new mother faces felony charges that could send her to prison for up to 30 years.
- New Details in Christian Aguilar Case
- New Details on Christmas Morning Shooting in Marion Oaks
- New Details in Summerfield Murder
- New Details in Summerfield Arson Case
- 911 Call Reveals New Details Regarding A.S.O Burger King Incident
- New Details of Newnan's Lake Death
- New details on Marion County girl found
- Deputy Injured in Hit-and-Run Crash
- FHP hopes to Reverse Hit and Run Numbers Across the State
- Arrest Made in Archer Hit-And-Run Death