Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Sheriff: Payne's Arrest is Big Day for Alachua County
ALACHUA COUNTY - The man identified by police as the Haile Plantation rapist is back in Alachua County.
Andrew Payne, 38, arrived from Coffee County, Georgia -- where he was arrested earlier this week -- and promptly led to the Alachua County Jail.
Sheriff Saide Darnell said this is a big day for Alachua County.
When the doors of the jail closed on Payne, it ended a four-year search for a suspect in the 2008 rape of a woman in Haile Plantation.
Police say DNA evidence linked Payne to the crime.
Payne's arrest and prosecution will bring much needed relief to the community and particularly the victim, said spokesperson for the victim's family, attorney Stephen Miller.
"It's good the process will start to bring this person to justice," Miller said. "On the other hand, it's a little bittersweet because it's going to bring up memories for this family."
Miller said the victim does not plan to file a civil suit against Payne.
Payne's bail has been set at $1 million.
- Truck Plunges Into Payne's Prarie, Driver missing
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua County Resident Get's A Big Gift from the County
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Saves Woman from Pasco County
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office E-mail Causes Controversy Over Racism
- Alachua County Sheriff's Budget
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Sweep for Sexual Offenders
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Warns Against Scams on Elderly