Tree Branch Crushes Car, Apartment
It wasn't even a tropical storm, but strong winds Tuesday evening caused major damage to one apartment complex in Ocala.
A car was smashed under a huge tree branch after it simply snapped.
Another branch destroyed the area of the roof where it landed, right on top of the complex's office, in front of the visitor's parking area.
"I got home and seen that happen, and seen the tree over there and like, holy cow," resident, Jason west told TV20.
Residents of the Village West Apartments off SW 20th Street in Ocala said they saw the hail and heard the thunder, but it was the sound of part of the building collapsing that surprised Jeremy Johnston the most.
"It was a big, big boom type, it was a lot of ruckus. Everybody heard it," Johnston said.
The driver of the truck was inside his apartment when it was destroyed.
His neighbor considers himself lucky.
"Usually there are like 6 other cars that park there," David Foster said.
No one was inside the office when the limb snapped and luckily, no one was hurt.
One neighbor told us the complex is putting those who were forced out of their homes in a hotel for the time being.
The thunderstorm brought strong winds Tuesday before 5 p.m., blowing up to 60 miles an hour.
But no one at Village West thought it was going to cause this much damage.
"I seen the hail hitting the sliding glass door out of no where. and the rain was just blowing sideways," Foster said.
- Tree Branch Crushes Car Update
- Truck Saves Massive Tree From Crushing House in Williston
- Cocaine residue found in rental car, paid for by GPD Employee
- Man Charged With Crashing Into Deputy's Car, Fleeing
- Two Women In Clay County Are Shot At In Their Car, One Dies
- Man Dies After Car Hydroplanes, Crashes Into Trees
- Man Dies After Car Flips Several Times, Crashes Into Trees
- Weirsdale Man Dies, After Crashing Car Into Tree
- Tropical Storm Andrea: Trees Fall On Homes & Cars
- Heavy Rains Cause Tree to Fall Through Ocala Home