Busy Bees (National Honey Bee Awareness Week)
Published August 18th, 2012
These little creatures are not just sweet but busy most of the time... Busy pollinating two thirds of the world's crops.
Today launches National Honey Bee Awareness Week and Gainesville celebrated with demonstrations, honey judging and honey tasting.
Cindy Belknap the president of the Gainesville Area Bee Club, says awareness is the best way to protect this endangered species.
"They're really an important you know, part of our society and we have to protect them. So creating awareness within the public, getting people interested and we've had new people sign up for the club."
Hobbyist bee keepers have increased by 30 percent within the last six months... Increasing the number of bee colonies across Florida to almost 400,000.
- Effects of Pesticides on Honey Bees
- Putnam Co. Beekeeper Accused of Stealing Bees, Honey From Competitors
- UF Buzzing about Honey Bee Research
- Members of the Gainesville Area Rowing Club Ready for Nationals
- Florida Takes Steps to Protect the Honey Business
- Area Attractions Offer Discounts As Part of Tourism Week Celebration
- National Eating Disorder Association's Gainesville Walk for Awareness
- Area Boys and Girls Club Wins National Award
- First Business Opens Up at Roberts Stadium Club
- While Rebuilding, D-B Racquet Club Is Open For Business