Busy Bees (National Honey Bee Awareness Week)
Published August 18th, 2012
These little creatures are not just sweet but busy most of the time... Busy pollinating two thirds of the world's crops.
Today launches National Honey Bee Awareness Week and Gainesville celebrated with demonstrations, honey judging and honey tasting.
Cindy Belknap the president of the Gainesville Area Bee Club, says awareness is the best way to protect this endangered species.
"They're really an important you know, part of our society and we have to protect them. So creating awareness within the public, getting people interested and we've had new people sign up for the club."
Hobbyist bee keepers have increased by 30 percent within the last six months... Increasing the number of bee colonies across Florida to almost 400,000.
- Putnam Co. Beekeeper Accused of Stealing Bees, Honey From Competitors
- UF Buzzing about Honey Bee Research
- Florida Takes Steps to Protect the Honey Business
- Medical Spotlight: Brain Awareness Week
- Children's Mental Health Awareness Week
- Area Attractions Offer Discounts As Part of Tourism Week Celebration
- Area Boys and Girls Club Wins National Award
- While Rebuilding, D-B Racquet Club Is Open For Business
- First Business Opens Up at Roberts Stadium Club
- National Boys and Girls Club Week