Byerly, Martin, Hutchinson Move Forward to November Elections
GAINESVILLE - The critical showdown that will determine control of the Alachua County Commission has been set.
Democrats chose two veterans to run in November.
In a nasty primary, Republicans chose a former Democrat.
Current Commissioner Mike Byerly won the Democratic Party County Commisison district 1 race, and John Martin won the Republican race.
Robert Hutch Hutchinson took the Democratic nomination for the Alachua County Commission District 3 race. Jean Calderwood was unopposed on the Republican side.
"It feels great just to know that November is right around the corner," Hutchinson said. "It's really not even three months away so it's going to be an exciting couple months."
Hutchinson, a former county commissioner, came out on top with just over 57 percent of the votes.
His opponent Ken Cornell ended with just over 42 percent.
In the County Commission District 1 race, the incumbent candidate Mike Byerly faced off against Roberta Lopez.
Byerly won with 57 percent of the votes.
"We are happy with the results," Byerly said. "Very grateful to all the people who got us to this point. We know we got a lot of work still to do so we are looking forward to the debate in November."
In the Republican County Commission District 1 race, John Martin easily defeated Brandon Kutner and Kevin Riordan. The former mayor of Hawthorne won just over 42 percent of the votes.
"Mr. Byerly had a run for his money, and he hasn't seen nothing yet, and we are going to take it to November," Martin said.
Byerly will run against Martin for the Alachua County Commsison District 1 seat.
Hutchinson will battle Jean Calderwood and Bryan Buchanan, a write in candidate, for the Alachua County Commission District 3 seat.
- Martin, Cornell Differ Sharply in District 4 Race
- County commission still moving forward with study
- $179,000 Alachua County Jail Study Moves Forward
- Alachua County Commission District 1 Race
- Law Enforcement Unions are NOT unified about the Alachua County Commission Elections
- City Of Alachua Commission Race
- Four Day School Week Moving Forward
- City, County Commissioners Ready to Move Forward after Joint Meeting
- County Commission considering to move fairgrounds to Newberry
- County Commission Approves Plan To Move Fairgrounds