Gainesville Man Accused of Stealing Reptiles
A man from Gainesville is accused of stealing two exotic reptiles and then trying to sell them.
Deputies said the victim helped crack the case.
Felner of Gainesville lives in a apartment with more than 20 snakes, iguanas and tortoises. All of them are her pets.
Over a week ago she traded snakes with 23- year-old Nicholas Hillier.
The man came to her house to pick up some animal supplies that's when Felner noticed he was fascinated by her blue iguana named Memphis.
About a week after on Friday, Memphis was stolen in the middle of the night. Along with this red tortoise named Curry.
"I saw my one cage sitting out there, but obviously the other one was not there. So I freaked out and called the police," said Felner.
"Somebody contacted me this morning to sell me those animals. They actually sent me pictures at 2 a.m," said Felner.
The name of the person who was trying to sell the reptiles was Nicholas Hillier.
He was selling them for $450 and they are worth over a $1,000 together.
"We actually had a detective contact this gentleman posing undercover like he was going to buy these animals," said Alachua County Sheriff's spokesperson Art Forgey.
"Now at night your going to make sure you'll bring them in?"
" Yes. I don't want to have to go through that again," said Felner.
Now that her exotic collection is once again complete.
- Gainesville Man Accused of Stealing Vehicle, Possessing Counterfeit Money
- Power Hungry, Gainesville Man Accused of Stealing Electricity
- Deputies: Man Accused Of Stealing Nearly $50,000 From His Workplace
- Man Accused of Stealing Friend's Car
- Deputies: Man Arrested After Stealing Oxycontin Pills At Gainesville Pharmacy
- Gainesville Man Goes to Prison for Stealing Soldier's Identity
- Gainesville Man Accused Of Having Sex With 11-Year-Old Girl
- Gainesville Man Accused of Having Sex With 14-Year-Old
- Gainesville Man Accused Of Offering Teen,15, Cash For Sex
- Suspect Accused of Fatally Stabbing Gainesville Man