Ocala's New Roads to Be Named
Marion County is moving forward with big road projects and city leaders are asking, "What's in a name?"
The city is going to gain it's third major boulevard in the area along with a new avenue to connect to Bonnie Heath Boulevard.
Two new corridors are being built in Ocala.
The twelve million dollar project will consist of a new North-South Avenue corridor and a new East-West Boulevard corridor, connecting at state road 200.
They are going to be named by Ocala residents, starting with students from various high schools.
Class presidents from four Ocala schools have been selected to participate on the "naming committee".
They will choose the top names and present them to the city roads committee in September.
Nearly 25 names have already been discussed.
The project is being completed by a local construction company, employing nearly 200 people in the process.
They've been working on the new roads for about a year and hope to have it completed by the end of the year.
The students are asking everyone to check out their facebook page, so you too can be a part of the naming process.
The student naming committee will present their list of top names on September 13th to the Ocala/Maron County Transportation Planning Organization.
The committee will take names from the public up until their present the names.
- Ocala's New Fire Chief Meets City Council
- Ocala's New Power Plant
- Ocala City Manager Talks about Ocala's Future
- 'Light Up Ocala' Turns On For 30th Year
- Renovations for Ocala's Performing Arts Conservatory
- Ocala's Downtown City Walk Project
- Ocala's "King of Crack" is Dethroned
- Ocala's PJ Williams Wins Defensive MVP In FSU National Championship Win
- Inside of Ocala's Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Training
- Ocala's Winter Wonderland