Powdery Substance Causes Evacuation
GAINESVILLE - A powdery substance is sent in an envelope to a Shands billing facility, and over 50 people are evacuated.
Police say the powdery substance turned out to be not what they expected.
After clearing the area and seding in Gainesville Fire Rescue, they tested the powder and realized the surprise was unintentional.
"There was no ill intent with the letter, unfortunately it just had some cooking powder on it before she sent it so hopefully we will discuss that with her and make certain there is nothing else."
The substance turned out to be flour.
Workers were let back into the building right before 3:00 today.
- Dangerous Fires Cause Evacuations
- Marion County Brush Fire Closes Roads, Causes Evacuations
- Santa Fe Community College Evacuated
- Orlando Congressman Office Evacuated
- Alachua County Wildfire Evacuations Update
- Gas Leak Prompts UF Housing Complex Evacuation
- Animal Services Facilitiy Temporarily Evacuated
- Pipe Bomb Threat Forces Neighbors to Evacuate
- Gainesville Store Smoke Evacuation
- Rooftop Fire at Butler Plaza Forces Shoppers to Evacuate