Softball World Series Coming to Alachua
ALACHUA - Alachua is hosting the Babe Ruth Girl's Softball World Series, and some say it will be good for local business.
The tournament has not been in the City of Alachua since 2010 and this year is bringing double the number of teams.
That's double the hotel rooms and visits to restaurants in the local area.
TV 20 asked Doug Robinson who works with the local Babe Ruth Softball System why he thought it is important to secure the venue again in the future.
Robinson told us, it is good to "let the community know we are having it to get them behind us, because its a lot easier to approach local business for financial help if they know its an ongoing event opposed to a one shot deal and then its gone."
Local businesses, including the city of Alachua and High Springs have helped raise $100,000 to make the World Series possible.
The tournament starts today and runs until august 8th and includes players from all around the nation.
The best of the Babe Ruth Softball system will play in the series.
- Babe Ruth Softball World Series
- Babe Ruth Softball World Series: 8/3/15
- "Maddie's Pet Adoption Days" Comes to Gainesville
- After 6 Years, Downtown Alachua's Restoration is Coming Together
- Six Remain at Babe Ruth World Series
- Games cancelled due to bad weather during Babe Ruth World Series
- World War II Planes Come To Ocala
- Where's your food coming from?
- Dinosaurs Come Alive in Alachua County
- Robotics coming to Alachua County Public Schools