Williston Non Profit Service Dog Organization Still Operational After Losing VA Contract
WILLISTON- Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs, a Williston non profit organization is doing the best it can to remain operational without funding from the Veterans Administration.
The VA terminated its contract after a variety of reports surfaced ranging from inbreeding to unclean facilities.
Some of the accusations were serious enough to make several volunteers and employees resign from the group.
Former Guardian Angels volunteer, Debbie Shevlin says, "I have heard from very reliable sources that two females (dogs) are very ill with diarrhea and that they've even had salmonella and that one employee hasbecome very ill and been hospitalized and she feels it was from that one dog."
The organization's director, Carol Borden states the accusations aren't true and are being made by several disgruntled ex-workers.
Borden said between surprise inspections and veterinary testing, running the facility has been pricey.
She has been visited by Levy County Animal Services at least twice in the past month, both visits were unsuccessful in find any mistreatment or wrongdoing.
Borden says that medical tests from area veterinarian clinics have also turned up negative for any problems, "regardless of all these accusations that the VA has been making all these reports are proving that it is not correct information they are putting out there."
The Guardian Angel Medical Service Dog Organization is still operating as a non profit with 50 to 70 dogs on hand.
- "Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs"
- Free Day of Health Screenings for Service Dogs
- A Local Non-Profit Organization Says Popsicles Can Impact the Economy...
- Animal Shelter Accused Of Mistreating Dogs
- One Year After FBI Raid of Gainesville Clinic and Still no Answers
- Angels on the Water
- K-9 Units: Cop & Canine Bond
- Underage Drinking Problems Lessen Profits for Gainesville Businesses
- SFC Production Manager Loses Job After 37 Years of Service
- Operation Clean Sweep Busts Wrong Man