Fundraising for Funeral Service
It's not the traditional way to mourn the passing of a loved one.
Friends and family are washing cars tonight to raise money for a funeral service for Eugene Shelton.
The Santa Fe College student was killed August 23, 2012 and his body is still at the funeral home.
There is a carwash going on right now at the Burger King on Newberry Road until 7 p.m.
Yesterday they raised about $150, but she hopes today there will be a better turnout because it will determine whether or not he will be buried or cremated.
"It's heartbreaking. I want to lay him to rest," said Jennifer Beck.
"Eugene was positive about everything. Even on a bad day you wouldn't hear him complain. He always kept a smile on his face," said Beck.
Twenty-six-year old Eugene Shelton was shot and killed in the parking lot of Rocky Point Apartments, in what detectives are calling a drug deal gone wrong.
Jonathan Peterson and Adrick Williams are both charged with Shelton's death.
Now friends and family are coping with the emotional loss as well as the practical problem of paying for his funeral service.
Beck hopes they can raise enough money to lay Shelton to rest by this weekend because it's already been about two weeks since he was killed.
Julie Collins with the Forest Meadows Funeral Home said delaying the funeral and burial can be difficult on the family.
"Two weeks is a little longtime to have to wait for the families to get closure and to be able to have those services."
Leaving loved ones no choice, but to try and come up with about $4,000.
While holding back tears Beck said the last thing she wants to see is her longtime friend cremated.
- Arrests Made in Santa Fe Student's Killing
- Santa Fe Student Killed
- Jonathan Peterson Found Guilty of First-Degree Murder
- UF STUDENTS RAISE MONEY FOR RAPE VICTIM
- Barbecue Festival Held To Raise Scholarship Money For Students
- Wise Joins Effort with "Raise the Roof" Fundraiser for Girls Place
- Funeral Services For FHP Trooper Chelsea Richard Being Held Thursday
- Funeral Services For Fallen FHP Trooper
- Funeral and Memorial Services Announced for Somer Thompson
- Funeral Services for Horse Rehab Center Explosion Victim