Gainesville's First Urban Farm
Published September 5th, 2012
GAINESVILLE - Joseph Price, a regular at St. Francis House traded his friend a donut for some more veggies.
"Carbohydrates are good-- to a point," Price said.
But he may not have to worry for long.
Florida Organic Growers is working on building an organic vegetable garden that will provide more local goods for downtown Gainesville, called Porters Community Farm.
This back part of the farm will be the largest. It will hold ten 55-foot rows of fresh organic vegetables all which will be donate to the St. Francis House.
"It's a good use of land," Lee Smith, the Director of Operations at St. Francis House said. "It's a sizable garden over there and we're going to be the recipients of a lot of their vegetables, which everyone loves fresh vegetables, the canned stuff is okay, but fresh is always better."
The garden is located between Third Street and Fifth Avenue. It will be managed by volunteers.
Gigi Simmons, president of the Porter's Community Neighborhood Organization, says this is a group effort.
"We are also teaching our young children in the community sustainability, and just trying to become responsible citizens and take care of one another," Simmons said.
But to make this farm a reality FOG needs some help.
"We've raised right about... I think about $5,500 of our $12,000 goal," said project coordinator, Travis Mitchell. "So we're getting there but we still need a lot more support."
And as Price continues to pile on the veggies, he tells me he can't wait for the better food options.
"And the folks that sit here will get a whole lot better meal, higher energy food they can stay more active and do more with their day," Price said.
- Triple Drug Bust in Gainesville Porter's Community
- Gainesville Porters Community Celebrates UF's First Football Game
- St. Francis House Ready For Thanksgiving Meal Thanks to Community
- Mebane Middle School Student Inspires Porter's Pink Passion Day
- Arbor House reopens under direction of St. Francis House
- Lafayette Repeats as 1A Volleyball Champs! St. Francis Also Advances to First-Ever Final in School History
- St. Francis House Breaking the Law for Humanity
- St. Francis House turns people away
- Downtown March Calls For More Meals at St. Francis House
- St. Francis House Receives Donation from Citgo