Labor Daze Fest... Not Just For The Working
Published September 2nd, 2012
GAINESVILLE - That's right Kyla... I talked to workers who thought of labor day as more than just a day to rest. I spoke to people who are unemployed who used this event to get their head back in the game. Here are their stories...
Music, food and rock climbing were some of the things you could find earlier today at the Bo Diddley Plaza where Gainesville's 2nd annual "Labor Daze Fest," took place. A day off for many who don't forget the meaning behind this holiday. Gainesville resident, Bill Boe says, "I come out every year because this is the celebration of a working America."
And while for some this was an event to celebrate the people that make Gainesville run... For others it was an opportunity to find a job, tents like Florida Works were out here today providing their services. Something that caught Candy Ganyo's attention. She says, "I got my PhD from the University of Life School of Hard Knocks, I've got a Bachelor's Degree in Education from the University of North Florida and I am a very capable individual, there are a lot of things I can do."
Ganyo has been unemployed for about 6 years now. But with a college degree, she says it's something she doesn't understand. "I was hoping that perhaps there might actually be some employers here so that I might be able to talk to people about open positions." Ganyo is one of the many here in Gainesville.
Her roommate JoAnn DeMarc, is in the same position except it's harder for her since she's physically disabled. DeMarc says, "People see the cane and think that from the cane up I don't work, I do. From the neck up, I work just fine." But like Ganyo, she doesn't lose hope. "I'd like to celebrate Labor Day by saying to my boss, see ya later! See ya Tuesday!"
The event was free and open to the public all afternoon. The festival is expected to happen again next year on the Sunday before Labor Day.
- Labor Daze Fest In Gainesville 2013
- Labor Daze Fest 2014 Features Live Music, Family Fun
- Labor Daze Fest To Focus on Community Enrichment in Addition to Family Fun
- Downtown Latino Festival, Not The Only Hispanic Event In Town
- UF Plaza Block Party... Blocked
- Search For Intellectually Disabled Man Narrowed
- Mobile Slavery Museum Hopes To Change Labor Conditions For Farmworkers
- Local Union Leaders Question The Future Of Labor
- Escaped Work Release Inmate Back In Custody
- Gainesville's Fleet Maintenance Garage & Public Works Materials Storage Facility Combine