No Bond for Man Accused of Killing Grandmother and Great Grandmother
MARION COUNTY - "It surprised me because hardly nothing happens around here like that you know," said Ismael Castillo. "It shook me off."
Residents in the Marion Oaks neighborhood are still nervous after deputies said a 22-year-old man shot and killed his grandmother and great grandmother, and wounded another woman Sunday morning.
Castillo has lived in the neighborhood for the past 17 years. His house is almost right behind the home where the two women were killed.
"I believe this man, when he did that, something was wrong with his mind," Castillo said. "I mean nobody is going to kill their family just like that."
Deputies said Azael Stevens got inside his grandmothers' home, pointed a gun at 47-year-old Jacqueline Gonzalez and demanded she give up her car keys.
As he dragged her to a room his 70-year-old grandmother Yolando Fruto woke up and tried to stop him.
That's when deputies said he shot his grandmother and great-grandmother. He then shot Gonzalez in the face.
He drove off in Gonzalez' car while Gonzalez and her son ran to a neighbor's house.
Stevens denies doing anything wrong and said he hopes the two women who were killed were not his relatives.
"Inside it hurt because they raised me from young," Stevens said. "They took me to different places in the country, but I am hoping it's not them. If it is may they rest in peace."
He stood before a judge Monday morning, where he was read his charges: two counts of felony murder, one county attempted murder, grand theft auto, robbery and driving with a suspended license.
The tragedy has left neighbors shocked, but Castillo said it's not a reason for him to pick up and leave.
"It could happen anywhere," said Castillo.
Stevens has a long criminal history. He's been in the Marion County Jail more than six times in six years, mostly on robbery carjacking charges.
He was released from prison in July of this year. He remains behind bars tonight with no bond.
- Double Homicide In Marion County
- Trial for Man Accused of Attempting to Rape, Murder Ocala Woman Begins
- Levy County House Fires Kills 10 Year Old and her Great Grandmother
- Marion County man accused of killing ex-girlfriend's son
- Citra Murder Suspect Apprehended, Given No Bond
- Ocala Man Beats, Stabs Dog, Neighbors Intervene
- Man Accused of Rape in Downtown Gainesville Being Held on a Five Million Dollar Bond
- Ocala Man Denies Killing His Girlfriend
- Ocala man charged with murder
- One of Five Charged With Ocala Teen Murder Requests Bond