Gainesville - Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies say its a crime that's under reported. Deputies say complaints are only filed three to four times a year, because elderly people don't want to be taken advantage of. One victim, an 87 year old grandmother who thought her grandson needed bail money lost over $1,500.
Gainesville resident Ira Strawder is a grandfahter.
"He's 18 months," Strawder said.
Strawder says he'll do anything to protect his son.
"I know where he's going who he's with," Strawder said.
Stawder is surprised to find out people are scamming the elderly.
"I don't believe in that in stupid stuff, I can't stand people that try to rob people like that," Strawder said.
Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies say the victims got calls from people claiming that they their grandson was jailed in Mexico, the victim wired over $1,500 but then they got another call, saying they needed more money, so the victim contacted her daughter who sent over a thousand dollars, all to find out it was just a scam.
"The grandson or son was never in Mexico, was in college never involved in anything like that," Lieutenant Todd Kelly with the Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies said.
Deputies say cases like this happen 3 to 4 times in Alachua County, they say there could be more but they go un reported.
"Well if I tell somebody what happened to me family and friends are going to think I'm losing my edge I'm not capable of caring for myself so there's some reluctancy to come forward with this information," Kelly said.
Deputies hope people who fall victim to crimes will report them and Strawder hopes the elderly does some fact checking before handing off their check books.
- Suspicious Phone Calls to Residents are a Scam
- Zimmerman Trial: Judge Ruling on Other Zimmerman Phone Calls
- Walmart Drops iPhone 5 Price
- Free Speach Advocates Fear "Chilling Effect" After NSA Phone Records Revelation
- Police Now Need Warrant To Search Cell Phones, Locals Weigh In
- Man Steals iPhone, Demands Ransom from Owner
- Phones Down In Parts Of Alachua County
- Phantom Phone Calls
- Truck Driver Who Hit Bus On Phone
- Phone Solicitation in Clay County