United Downtown Event
Gainesville - Thousands of people poured into Gainesville for a gameday weekend, one event is designed to get them to come back. Workers from United Way are setting up booths for vendors in the "United Downtown" Event. The Event is meant for family fun as well as a boost for Downtown Gainesville. The event has done a lot for business.
The Downtown Bo Diddley Plaza was busy with people setting up and making last minute changes for the weekend festivities. Shawn Shepherd the owner of Vellos is just one of the businesses downtown that has seen the benefits.
"Its good to see the change, I mean a lot of things have changed downtown has gotten a lot better," Shawn Shepherd Owner of Vellos said.
He says the "United Downtown" event has increased his sales.
"We had a good summer, we like to contribute that to the local Gainesville community, coming back and seeing what downtown had to offer," Shepherd said.
Shepherd says last year not only did his sales increase, it lasted thoughout the year because residents saw more of what downtown had to offer.
"United Downtown has exposed a lot more people that haven't been downtown and its brought a lot more families down here to see the changes," Shepherd said.
"We want it to bring it to downtown, because this is such a rich asset to our entire community," Debbie Mason, CEO of United Way North Central Florida said.
United way of North Central Florida CEO Debbie Mason says this is the second year holding the event , their goal is to spread their message about education, income and health as well as help boost local business.
"I think its important for people in our community to come downtown and see what downtown gainesville has to offer," Mason said.
Something shepherd hopes other residents will notice.
This is the second year for United Way and the city to hold the event.
- Downtown Latino Festival, Not The Only Hispanic Event In Town
- Search for Missing Student Reaches High and Low with Help from Joint Aviation Unit
- Marion County Sheriff's Department reinstates terrorist intelligence unit
- United Way to Help Tornado Victims
- 77 Cybercrime Offenders Caught by Florida CyberCrime Unit
- Army Preventive Medicine Unit to Deploy
- United Way Volunteers Work on 'Day of Action'
- Philip Clark's Remains Back in the United States
- Rescue Groups A-C Units Stolen
- United States House Local Races