8-Year-Old Boy Set on Fire While Playing in Neighbors' Yard
Published October 5th, 2012
OCALA - An 8-year-old boy from Ocala is recovering at Shands Hospital after suffering third-degree burns to over 20 percent of his body.
The incident took place late Sunday afternoon.
The 8-year-old's grandmother, Janice Porter, says she left her grandson, Wendell Wright, playing in the backyard of a neighbor's house.
Later in the day, as she was sitting on her property, Porter says she heard something ignite. That's when she looked across the street, only to see her grandson covered in flames.
According to Porter, Wright suffered burns on the back of his leg, all the way up to his hands.
The boy's burns were so severe, Porter says his muscles and tendons were exposed. Wright was taken to the burn unit at Shands, where he is still recovering.
Meanwhile, Porter is left to wonder how something like this could have happened in the first place.
She blames her neighbors for not properly supervising the children.
Porter's neighbors did not want to speak on camera about the incident, but did say that the children were good friends before the incident took place.
They say Porter's accusations are untrue.
The Marion County Sheriff's Office is investigating what exactly led up to the incident, and whether or not this was just an accident, or something more.
- 12-Year-Old Boy Saves 4 Younger Siblings from House Fire
- 82 Year-Old Shot and Killed while Sleeping
- 13-year-old Gainesville Boy Sends Care Packages to Navy Seals
- A Special Wish Granted To 15-year-old Boy Brings Him To Disadvantaged Primates
- Alachua County Man in Jail for Taking 3-year-old Boy
- 3-Year-Old Boy Almost Kidnapped By Sex Offender
- Proposed Gas Station Fuels Neighbors' Anger
- Pickin' For Kaedyn, Helping 3-Year-Old Leukemia Patient
- Santorum's 3-Year-Old Daughter Taken to Hospital
- 92 Year Old Woman Accused of Shooting at Neighbor Over A Kiss