NASA is dealing with critical cooling unit issue onboard Int'l Space Station.
Gainesville Wants to Annex Parts of Alachua County
GAINESVILLE - The city of Gainesville wants to annex parts of Alachua County.
Residents will vote on the annexation on the November ballot. Some residents say they want to keep things the way they are.
The West Hills neighborhood has made signs to show they do not want to be annexed.
The city says inclusion into city limits would give residents new services - like mosquito control and storm-water clean up.
The services do come with a bill, and one resident says he doesn't want to pay it.
"In a chart that the city had its going to add $20 to $30 a month for my bill," the resident said. "Also, it also takes money to just try and defeat it - it takes up time we have had to spend money to buy signs and go door to door, and we don't need to be doing that."
The city spokesperson says that taxes on each property will depend on the size of the property, and on average would cost an additional $10 a month.
The city is basing the annexation on a study conducted in 2007 that found the growth of a city to be beneficial.
- City of Gainesville wants to Annex a Part of Alachua County
- Annexation Referendum Gets Mixed Review From Alachua County Residents
- Alachua County Democratic Party Wants Alachua County Democratic Black Caucus Charter Revoked
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua County Doesn't Want To Waste Our Trash
- Phones Down In Parts Of Alachua County
- Alachua Delays Annexation of Battery Plant
- Gainesville Woman Wants Changes to County Dog Parks
- Gainesville City Commissioners To Vote On Butler Plaza Annexation
- City of Gainesville Considering Annexation