Marion County Firefighters Promoting Fire Prevention Month at Maplewood Elementary
MARION COUNTY, FL--There have been no home fire deaths in Marion County since October 2011.
To keep the streak going, firefighters are doubling their efforts.
Marion County firefighters visited Maplewood Elementary School Wednesday. They are among the more than 20,000 children firefighters plan to teach firesafety during this month, which is Fire Prevention Month.
They talk to them about smoke detectors, calling 9-1-1, and what to do during a fire.
One important point was to tell kids not to hide under the bed or in the closet , because its harder to find them.
The best thing to do is a find a way out.
The kids were able to explore a fire truck as well as see a firefighter in full uniform.
Teachers and administrators hope that the kids will go home and tell their parents to make an escape plan.
- U.S. Rio Paralympian paid a visit to Maplewood Elementary School
- Legacy Elem. Will Reduce Overcrowding at Other Schools
- Marion County formally approves 'School Choice'
- East Marion Elementary School Undergoes Deep Cleaning After Infection Outbreak
- Local Schools Respond to Drop in Letter Grade
- Firefighters saves animals from fire
- Walk To School Day
- Firefighters Step Up Fire Prevention Programs
- Fire Prevention Month Highlights Safety
- One Class at a Time: Meet February Winner Brooke Newell