Mother Uses Public Punishment to Teach Son a Lesson
Published October 31st, 2012
GAINESVILLE - Some might call it 'tough love.' A teenager from Gainesville is owning up to stealing...in a very public way.
Felisha Hampton of Gainesville was understandably upset when she found out her 13-year-old son Jaivn was caught stealing a hat from the Walmart on Waldo Road. But that was all it took for the single-mother to make a sign, grab some lawn chairs, and return with her son to the scene of the crime. Standing at the entrance to the store, Jaivn was forced by his mother to hold up a sign that read: "I got caught stealing from Walmart yesterday!"
"I provide him with everything. I go to work every single day, there is no reason for him to steal whatsoever," said Felisha. "I'd rather for people to take his picture right now in front of Walmart instead of him having a mug shot," she said.
Despite the humiliation, some passers-by did take the time to share some words of wisdom with the teenager, including one man who handed Jaivn a Bible.
Felisha says she plans on bringing her son back out on Wednesday night, complete with a new sign, as she continues to teach her son a lesson.
- Citizen's Academy Teaches Residents Government Lessons
- Rape Aggression Defense Classes at Santa Fe College Teach Important Lesson
- Mothers Speak Out About Sons' Deaths; Plan Memorial Ride
- Mother and Sons Killed in House Fire; Neighbors Trying to Cope
- Stand-Off Ends Peacefully After Mother Pleads With Son to Surrender
- Learning Lessons From Virginia Tech
- Free Swimming Lessons Offered to Residents
- Local Children Learn Life Lessons Through Chinese Culture Classes
- Students At Local Elementary School Receive A Different Lesson
- Gainesville Makes Big Splash in Record-Breaking Swimming Lesson