Murder Suspect Arrested, Victim Identified
GAINESVILLE - There are new developments in last Friday's murder of a Gainesville man.
Gainesville police have identified the victim and arrested his suspected killer.
Clifton Rae Baxter of Dothan, Alabama was arrested Saturday and charged with first-degree murder.
Police say they identified Baxter as the man seen standing over the victim, 60-year-old Robert L Dockens, and going through his pockets.
Detectives say Baxter and Dockens were acquaintances who got into a fight over money.
During that argument near West University Avenue, police say Baxter stabbed Dockens in the chest.
GPD reports Dockens stumbled away and collapsed on SW 12th street.
Baxter then found Dockens on the street, stole his wallet, then returned to Alabama.
Detectives say they were able to identify Baxter with help from local businesses.
According to police, he also implicated himself during questioning.
"His statements were that he was in the presence of Mr. Dockens and he identified himself in some photographic evidence that we had obtained from the Bank of America ATM," Detective Martin Honeycutt said.
Baxter is being held in Alabama on a $500,000 bond, but is in the process of being transported to the Alachua County Jail.
GPD detectives continue to seek a possible witness who they say was driving a black pickup truck -- similar to a Chevrolet Avalanche -- and stopped to speak with Baxter early Friday morning.
Anyone with information can contact GPD at 352-393-7670 or Crimestoppers with an anonymous tip at 352-372-STOP
- GPD: Gunman in Apartment Shooting Arrested, Writes About Crime on Facebook
- Gainesville Murder Suspect Arrested
- Victims Identified After Double Murder
- Murder Suspect Identified
- Gainesville Man Arrested, Charged In 2009 Sexual Battery Incident
- Suspect Identified in String of Gainesville Burglaries
- From Amber Alert Victim to Murder Suspect
- Police: Two Armed Suspects Rob Business, Duct Tape Victim
- Homeless Woman Murdered...Her Body Found in Gainesville Parking Lot
- Williston Man Arrested After Victim Tells Police She Was Sexually Assaulted