Walk To School Day
MARION OAKS, FL.-
Each and every day hundreds of local children walk to and from school.
Today parents and kids were up early for the 14th annual Walk our Childlren to School event.
In Marion county more than 200 kids from Sunrise Elementary showed up with their parents.
"It's a really good idea for them to walk to school and learn about stranger danger, so I signed them up and that's why I am here," said Angelita Lozada.
Lozada and Jose Cunningham have two kids.
A girl in second grade and a boy in third.
They usually ride the bus to school, but they faced a challenge at the event.
"If one of you will jump in my truck with me I will give you $10 I just need to know where his house is. I will bring you right back to school. are you sure you don't want $10?"
The kids were put in dangerous scenarios a man looking for his dog, another one showing of his phone
"You're walking on the side walk and you see a car stopped right there in front of you."
"You go on the grass. Make sure nothing is on the grass and go there."
They also had someone looking for their friend. Lieutenant Grady Grimes said he noticed some improvement.
"I noticed in the first scenario more of the kids, I don't want to say that they did wrong, but they did things that could have put them in danger. Much more so than the last scenario where they were much more incline to just keep walking and do the safe things before they got to school,"said Grimes.
Lozada and Cunnigham said they've spoken to their kids about strangers, but this is the real deal.
"They were actually into it and they liked it and they really got a hold of the stranger danger part of it," said Lozada.
hoping this learning experience will stick with them forever.
Law enforcement officers made sure to teach the kids about pedestrian safety and their walking environment.
- Walk Your Kids To School
- Two Children Briefly Abducted From Levy County Elementary School
- Paddling Scheduled to Return to Marion County Elementary Schools
- Children Learn of Possible Dangers when Walking to School
- It's National School Bus Safety Week But Some Parents Say Their Kid Aren't Safe
- School Board Urges Parents To Register Kids
- Four Day School Week in Marion County
- What's private and what's public in your child's school?
- Marion County Firefighters Promoting Fire Prevention Month at Maplewood Elementary
- Metcalfe Elementary Celebrates "Our Own Games" Milestone