Witness to Sexual Assault Leads Police to Attacker
GAINESVILLE - It began as a night of celebration with friends and drinks but turned into a terrifying scene for one student who says he witnessed a sexual assault.
But thanks to his quick acting, Gainesville police were able to stop a rape and capture the attacker.
EMT student Kenneth Szupello said he was celebrating the Gator's win at Cantina's restaurant just north of the Univeristy of Floridals campus when he stepped outside to talk on the phone.
That's when he said he saw what looked like a couple fooling around by the field area adjacent to the post office at 1630 NW 1st Ave. The woman was partially perched against a large oak tree and a man was in front of her performing a sexual act, according to Szupello.
But when he looked closer, Szupello said he noticed the woman appeared unconscious.
"I was kind of suspicious," Szupello said. "It looked like the gentleman was doing something that she didn't want. At that time, I ran over and grabbed the first cop I saw and let him know there was a rape going on."
GPD officers arrested Daniel Hugh Moss of Keystone Heights at the scene.
According to the arrest report, Moss was with the victim at the Swamp restaurant and they left together.
Staff and patrons at the restaurant told police the victim appeared inebriated when she left with 40-year-old Moss, and they were suspicious of Moss' intentions.
The victim was inebriated to the point where she could not stand steadily, remember her address or speak without slurring her words, according to the report. She told police that she did not know Moss and didn't know how she ended up in the field with him.
The victim was taken to Shands where she was treated for her injuries.
Moss has been charged with sexual battery.
- Gainesville Police Department Launches Sexual Assault Reporting Website
- Gainesville Man Arrested, Charged In 2009 Sexual Battery Incident
- Gainesville Man Charged With Sexual Battery of 14 Year Old Girl
- Gainesville Man Faces Sexual Battery Charges
- Williston Man Arrested After Victim Tells Police She Was Sexually Assaulted
- Police Look for Witnesses of Face-chewing Attack
- Zimmerman Arrested for Aggravated Assault and Battery
- Man Arrested For Sexual Battery of a Mentally Disabled Teen
- Court Employee Arrested For Attempted Sexual Battery
- Sexual Battery Is Ruled Out In Bostick Case