Best Buy Scam Targeting Holiday Shoppers Through Text Message
GAINESVILLE- Retailers are vying for your money as Black Friday approaches, but so are scammers.
The most common text message scam to hit advertises a one thousand dollar gift certificate to Best Buy.
Similar scams have targeted Wal-Mart stores in our area.
Alachua County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Brandon Kutner says, " If you ever get a text message or are directed to a website that asks for your personal information that these account holders should already have then it's a very good indication that it's a scam to begin with."
Best buy corporate offices say they are aware of the phishing text message scams and that it appears to be a national problem.
They also maintain that they will never ask you for personal information over the phone.
- Door to Door Scams Sweep Through the Area
- Last Minute Shoppers Flood Area Stores
- Thanksgiving Holiday Ends in Fatal Hit and Run Accident for FSU Student
- Fire Destroys Holiday Plans for one Gainesville Family
- School District Unveils Text Message Emergency Contact System
- Unauthorized Text Message
- Text Messaging in Three Regional Emergency Rooms.
- Dentmond 911 call and text messages released
- Publix Warns Shoppers About Facebook Scam
- Shoppers Endure Long Lines, Chilly Weather to Find Best Deals on Black Friday