Downtown Upgrades Stand Still
OCALA--Hopes of upgrading Downtown are on hold.
The city of Ocala entered an agreement with developer White Challis to build some condominium and commercial projects around the downtown square.
But the Daytona Beach developer missed the November First deadline to get the plans approved.
In 2004 the city of Ccala adopted a downtown master plan as a way to make Downtown a more thriving location.
City officials say there has been some improvement in the last couple of years.
That includes Mark Mondell, the Executive Director of Municipal Development for Ocala. He said:
"The city has put in a lot of investment into infrastructure We have redone streets, we built the citizens circle behind City Hall, we attracted some companies to move Downtown. So we keep moving forward. So we think Downtown is becoming more attractive. Quite frankly I think it's a matter of when not if Downtown redevelopment will occur."
The city council could provide a 30 day period of time to correct the situation, or agree to a mutual termination.... which will most likely be the case.
Mondell says the city council will talk about the future of downtown Ocala during a workshop next week.
- Ocala City Council Runoff Election
- Ocala's New Fire Chief Meets City Council
- Ocala's Downtown City Walk Project
- Tortoises Hold Up Construction in Newberry
- Plans To Improve Downtown Gainesville
- Downtown Ocala to get Makeover
- Downtown Ocala Business Owners: Renovation Troubles are "Worth It"
- The Future Face of Downtown Ocala
- Potter Mania Hit Downtown Ocala
- More Options when Parking in Downtown Ocala