Early Voting Ended, Today's The Day To Vote
GAINESVILLE - Parking lots filled with cars, Streets filled with signs and voting polls filled with people. Something that felt like a never-ending line for some at the polls on Saturday. 3 of the 63 voting locations in Alachua County were open for early voting this past week. For people like Donald McCurry early voting ensures his ballot gets cast. "We both work at the hospital, at Shands Hospital and we go to work so early and we get off so late it's hard to get here during the voting hours on Tuesday," McCurry says.
People patiently waited in line at the polls, to make sure their vote was counted before Election Day on Tuesday which they suspect will be even busier. "We actually came this morning at 8 o'clock thinking that there would be no one here and we decided not to and then happen to drive by the other library and that was worst. Here we are… And we're determined to stay," says Denny Shephard who waited in line with his wife.
There are 165,137 registered voters in the county and by the time precincts were closing down tonight, 39,272 of those people voted early. It's a lower number from the 53 thousand that voted early last election. However pam carpenter, the supervisor of elections for alachua says its a high number considering early voting only lasted a week this year as opposed to two weeks in 2008.
If you haven't voted, you can today from 7am-7pm. It's Florida law that everyone in line before 7pm will be allowed to vote.
- Early Voting For Alachua County
- Early Voting For Gainesville Runoff Election Begins Monday
- Marion County Sees More Early Votes This Election
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie
- Special Report Today's Addictions
- Today's Health: Sleep Apnea Linked To Sudden Cardiac Death
- Gainesville/Alachua County's 10-Year plan to end homelessness- Part 1
- Gainesville/Alachua County's 10-Year plan to end homelessness- Part 2
- City of Gainesville Votes In Favor Of GRU Audit
- City of Gainesville's Early Voting Starts Monday