Lake City Community Comes Together to Show Support for Cason Family
Published November 20th, 2012
LAKE CITY - Members of the North Central Florida community came out Monday night to rally around a family whose baby girl was badly hurt at the hands of her own babysitter.
A couple hundred residents came to downtown Lake City to show their support and pray with the family of young Carly Cason. Police say Carly's babysitter, Summer Albritton, 19, admitted that she violently shook 3-month-old Carly so badly, she had to be hospitalized for a week.
While Carly's condition has since improved, her mother tells us her long-term prognosis remains uncertain.
"I think even the doctors were surprised," said Carrie Cason. "At first they had lots of bad news for us. They told us that there was permanent brain damage. They told us that she could not see due to bilateral hemorrhaging in both retinas. She had ligaments torn in the neck. Just lots and lots of extensive damage,"
Both Carly and her parents have a long road of recovery ahead of them. Carly's father says she has six doctors appointments scheduled in the next month alone.
Meanwhile, Albritton was released from jail last week after she posted bail. She is currently awaiting trial on one charge of cruelty towards a child.
- Community Comes Together To Support Rape Victim
- Multiple communities coming together to help Ocala family after house fire
- Team Lundy Bands Together to Support Family of Injured Deputy
- Community comes together to help after devastating fire
- Local family loses everything in house fire, seeking community support
- New shopping center, businesses coming to Lake City
- More commercial developments coming to Lake City
- A Family That Exercises Together, Stays Healthy Together
- Lake City community devastated by triple shooting
- Lake City Community College Gets A New Name