Big Brothers Big Sisters Needs Donations for Kids
For some North Central Florida children, the presents they recieve from Big Brothers Big Sisters are the only ones they have on Christmas morning.
However, the agency is having a party for the kids, and they only have a handful of donated toys.
Last year they called it "A Miracle on 13th Street" and this year they are hoping for another miracle.
The agency is expecting hundreds of kids for their holiday party. They were close to canceling the party last year but an outpouring of support from the community allowed them to hold it.
They say people have been through tough times this year, and that may be the reason donations are down.
But the group's treasurer, Larry Hartfield says that any donation, no matter the size, will help.
"The kids really look forward to Christmas and the only Christmas they sometimes get is the one Big Brothers Big Sisters can provide. Imagine waking up for Christmas and being disappointed and not getting a little something."
The holiday party is for kids ranging from ages 6 to 17.
You can drop off the donations at either Big Brothers Big Sisters by the Applebees on 13th Street, or to TV20 here on 43rd Street, no later than Friday.
The center says that parents often call them as a last resort when they are unable to figure out how to give their children presents.
Those calls are hard to make and they dont want to disappoint.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Annual Toy Drive
- Five-Month-Old Dead, Mom and Big Sister in Critical Condition
- Two Brothers Lost In One Big Family
- Blood Banks Need Donations
- Donations Needed for Tools for Schools in Gainesville
- Need is Up, Donations are Down
- Small Girl Gives Big-hearted Donation to Foster Children
- Local Artist Makes a Big Donation
- Kid's Central: Helping Find Homes For Those Who Need It Most
- Sisters Reunited After 60 Years Apart