Food Drive For The Holidays
GAINESVILLE - Cars, music and Santa were all at the Millennium Center for some fun and charity this afternoon. The event was sponsored by Gainesville open MRI, who teamed up with the bread of the mighty food bank in the hopes of collecting canned goods and non-perishable foods for the hungry. This past year they have provided food for thousands by distributing more than 4.8 million pounds of food.
Hunger knows no boundaries, especially during the holidays. John Raj one of the board of directors for Bread of the Mighty Food Bank says more people than ever need food assistance. "The economy being what it is… people who used to be donating food to the food bank we've seen a number of them now having to come and ask for food. A reversal of roles as you might say."
As of last year, 33% of people in Alachua County were experiencing food hardships in District 3 and about 22% in District 6. The organization which works with 130 agencies and serves 5 counties in the area: Dixie, Gilchrist, Levy, Lafayette, and Alachua is trying to bring those numbers down. "Especially in those holiday seasons, a need goes up tremendously. If we have food we will make sure it reaches those in need." Raj tells me, events like these help spread awareness to the cause. He says they're grateful for donations and grants.
Their most recent grant from the Hussman Foundation helped get them a refrigerated van for food transportation. With it, they hope to distribute more food to those in need. Gainesville Open MRI hopes to make this event an annual one. Find out how you can give back to the Bread of the Mighty Food Bank here.
- No Hunger Game Part 1, The Bread Of The Mighty Food Bank
- Bread of the Mighty Food Bank to Hold First Fundraiser in 25 years
- Food Banks Raise Awareness for National Hunger Action Month
- Food Banks May Not Have Enough For Thanksgiving
- Bread of The Mighty's Holiday Drive in Full Swing
- No Hunger Games: Mobile Pantries
- No Hunger Game Part 2, The Faces Of Those Who Help
- No Hunger Game Part 3, The Faces Of Those In Need
- Hundreds Line Up for Church's Food Giveaway
- Helping The Hungry During Holidays