Those in attendance said african americans celebrated two victories today.
The vice president for the MLK commission of Florida, Diyonne Mcgraw, said "although we couldn't be there in washington d.c. for the inauguration, we're still here celebrating a great man dr. martin luther king and then there's a great man being installed in the white house, president barack obama."
The celebration ends Tuesday night at 6:00 p.m. with the "remembering coretta observance program." at new macedonia baptist church.
And in Ocala, more than 1,000 people marched in honor of Dr. King .
Local officials,church groups, athletes and a marching band took part in the parade that started at the downtown square.
The marchers walked down west silver springs boulevard and ended up at the Martin Luther King Junior complex.
A resident Narvella Haynes, spoke to tells us why she feel it's important to continue to have this event; "Dr. Martin Luther Kings dream cannot die. this is one way of bringing back the memory, getting together as a community, unifying with one another."
- MLK Celebrations Begin
- MLK Celebration
- MLK Kickoff
- Event at MLK Center to Raise Awareness
- Kids Tell Us What MLK Day Means To Them - And How Far We Have to Go
- The Full Text of MLK's "I Have a Dream" Speech
- Flag Day Reading Celebration
- 10th Annual Celebration of Biotechnology
- Local Queen's Jubilee Celebration
- Gainesville Gay Rights Activists Celebrate SCOTUS Decision on Steps of City Hall