String of Burglaries in One Alachua County Neighborhood May be Connected
Published January 24th, 2013
HAWTHORNE- Sixteen different crimes, but all with one goal in mind... stealing copper.
The crimes all happened between Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning.
All the houses targeted in the Pleasant Gardens neighborhood in Hawthorne were vacant and owned by the Alachua County Housing Authority.
Once inside thieves went straight for water heaters with their tools to remove the copper.
That's where detectives say they think there is a connection between the method and the motive.
Alachua County Sheriff's Detective, Eric Hutchinson says,"The cuts were clean they actually left some of the tools there that they actually cut the copper with."
Pleasant Gardens resident would like to see more officers in the neighborhood and better nightime lighting along the streets.
Detectives believe that these recent burglaries may be related to a similar theft at Straughn Farms over the weekend where sixteen-thousand dollars worth of copper was stolen.
- String of Burglaries Hit Marion County
- Columbia County man arrested in connection to funeral home burglary
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Mosquitoes Use Standing Water to Stir Trouble in Alachua County
- Alachua County Commission Votes to Keep Archer Braid Trail Out of Haile Plantation
- Alachua County Volunteers Track Down the Homeless
- Inmate Escapes From Alachua County Work Release Center
- Ducks to be Removed from Historic Duck Pond Neighborhood in Gainesville
- Bear on the Loose in Kirkwood Neighborhood in Southwest Gainesville
- Wage Theft Bill Moves Past House Judiciary Panel