University Police Officer Laid to Rest
ALACHUA COUNTY--One of the University of Florida's finest was laid to rest Wednesday afternoon.
43-year-old Officer Jean Guy Deffense was killed last weekend while driving off-duty in Orlando, when he veered off the road and crashed .
His wife was with him at the time of the crash and survived without injury.
The memorial service took place at Canterbury Showplace in Newberry to honor the fallen officer prior to a graveside ceremony.
Officer Ellen Duffy with the UF Police Department says the officer was well liked and will be missed.
"Wonderful officer, he was a good friend to everyone at the department, well loved by the department, a true family man, a veteran. He served his country, served his community, and put his family and friends first." -Ellen Duffy, University Police Department
Officer Deffense had served UPD since 2008 and was an active member of their honor guard.
His colleagues say he was doing what he was meant to be doing - serving students and the community.
- A Highly Respected Gainesville Surgeon Is Laid To Rest
- Marine Laid to Rest
- Two Crossing Guards Laid to Rest
- Police Find New Evidence On Aguilar's Case
- Man Shot by Gainesville Police Officer During High Speed Car Chase
- University of Florida Police Department Honors Fallen Officer
- Aguilar Family Preparing For The Worst...
- UF Police: Student Arrested After Using Police Scanner to Keep Police out of Party
- Missing UF Student, Foul Play Suspected
- Bad Conduct: PK Yonge Student Arrested