Big Business on Super Bowl Weekend
Published February 2nd, 2013
GAINESVILLE - It's the annual sporting event that over the years has almost evolved into a national holiday: the Super Bowl.
Super Bowl weekend can be one of the busiest times of the year for employees at Ward's Supermarket. Store managers tell us they see business jump up by about 20 percent, as shoppers come in early to stock up on their Super Bowl snacks.
It's no surprise that chicken wings are some of store's top sellers. Store employees say they've sold at least 50 bags of wings every other day in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.
But it's not only the supermarkets celebrating. So too are many sports bars across town. Beef O' Brady's on Northwest 43rd Street expects take out orders to increase by at least 60 percent on the day of the big game. The bar's manager says more people actually order take out on Super Bowl Sunday rather than eat at the restaurant. Managers tell us they typically go through a half-ton of chicken wings on Sunday alone.
- Super Bowl Ads
- Super Bowl Holiday?
- Tebow's Controversial Super Bowl Ad
- Super Bowl Mania
- Fans React to Tebow's Super Bowl Ad
- TV20 Water Cooler Buzz: Super Bowl Ads
- How did your favorite Super Bowl ad measure up?
- Thirteenth Street Walmart Moves Small Businesses Hope Big Chain Comes
- Stadium Decision Hurts Miami's Super Bowl Chances
- 5 Super Bowl Ads That Enlist Viewer Help